with David Rice of Sweetcore Farm
Saturday, April 22 - weather dependent
10 am to noon
* Seminar touching on all of the bases for successful plantings
Noon to 2 pm
* Optional hands-on planting session at a local orchard (1 to 2 hours)
This workshop is focused on planting your seedlings, geared towards those who want to establish and maintain your backyard fruit plantings. Those wishing to create small commercial or homestead orchards and small fruit (berries, etc.) plantings are also encouraged to attend.
Apples and pears will be the subject of the actual plantings, with discussion also of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.
Site selection, soil preparation, varieties and rootstocks for the North Country.
Planting tips will be the major focus along with fertilization, and pest concerns with an eye towards organic solutions.
Production supplies and sources will be discussed along with nursery and ordering recommendations.
holds an Associate degree in horticulture with focus on fruit science. He has devoted the past thirty years to fruit and vegetable production, currently as the owner of Sweetcore Farm near Russell, NY with his wife Kathy. Since 2013 he has presented our very popular Fruit Tree Pruning workshop, and has now expanded to a series of seasonal events to help local folks grow healthy fruiting plants!
Backyard Fruit School Series
The Fruit School series is designed to cover all of the bases of fruiting trees, bushes and possibly nuts.
* March.........PRUNING Your Apple Trees & Other Orchard Fruits * Hands-on!
* April............Establishing Your Fruit Tree SEEDLINGS (optional hands on session too)
* August........OPEN HOUSE for Trouble Shooting Common Concerns
* November...Establishing Your PLANTINGS
We also offer a bulk buying co-op, let us know if you're interested!
Sweetcore Farm & Orchard
150 Hill Road
Hermon, NY 13652
(Located off of Rt. 25, between Canton and Russell, closer to Canton.)
Exact details, including directions, will be included in the RSVP Confirmation that is sent to all registered participants.
Please note that our Presenters are generous volunteers donating some portion of their time
- For this unique learning experience, a $25 suggested donation is requested to cover overhead expenses and to benefit Local Living Venture non-profit workshop creation. $45 for a couple/ family of two, $12 for students.
- Donations can be made by cash or check to "Local Living Venture" and will be collected on site during registration.
- Reduced Rate / Scholarships are available upon request.
to support the Local Living Venture, because your donation is a major means of our support as a small community organization.
It is appreciated if you can register for this hands-on workshop in advance. This also ensures that, in the event of postponemt due to weather, you will be notified. If you wish to join us "last minute" please bring a camp chair and text or call (315) 261-1926 to verify it has not been postponed due to weather. This is an outdoor event, with the seminar portion under open cover.
Send email to LocalLivingVenture@gmail.com or call (315) 347-4223 to reserve a spot.
Please note the workshop name, number in party, contact phone number(s) and email address when reserving.
Email confirmation with location, directions, and FAQ will be sent to all registrants within 24-48 hours.